I am often asked to help walk a client through a trust certification form. Either for a re-fi on their mortgage or a new bank account. After filling out 25 of those, or more, the last year I thought I would post it here to help my readers know exactly what is needed. This is a sample trust certification or certification of trust or certified extract of trust or certified abstract of trust.
If you have any other questions or wish to reach out to me, please give me a call at 916-920-5983 and we can talk further.
Well, with no more delay, here you go:
CERTIFICATION OF TRUST
PURSUANT TO CALIFORNIA
PROBATE CODE SECTION 18100.5
I/We, ________________________________________, [enter your names here] trustee(s) of the ______________________________ [name of your trust here] confirm the following facts1. The ________________________________________ [name of your trust] is currently in existence and wcreated on ______________________________ [Date your Trust was signed].
2. The settlor(s) of the trust are as follows: _____________ [enter your name(s) here]
3. The currently acting trustee(s) of the trust is/are:__________ [enter your name(s) here]
4. The power of the trustee(s) includes:
a. The powers to sell, convey and exchange ¨ Yes ¨ No (check one) [most likely YES]
b. The power to borrow money and encumber the trust property with a deed of trust or mortgage
¨ Yes ¨ No (check one)[most likely YES]
5. The trust is ¨ revocable; ¨ irrevocable (check one) [typically these are filled out for REVOCABLE trusts but of course some, especially after death, may be irrevocable] and the following party(ies) if any, is/are identified as
having the power to revoke the trust: ______________ [your name(s) here]
6. The trust ¨ does, ¨ does not have multiple trustees (check one). If the trust has multiple trustees, the
signatures of all the trustees or of any
of the trustees is required to exercise the powers of the trust.
7. The trust identification number is as follows:
(Social Security Number/Employee Identification Number) [typically the social security of either settlor goes here]
8. Title to trust assets shall be taken in the following fashion: ________________ [Your name(s) as trustee of the _____ trust, dated ______________ ]
CERTIFICATION OF TRUST PURSUANT TO CALIFORNIA PROBATE CODE SECTION 18100.5
The undersigned trustee(s) hereby declare(s) that the trust has not been revoked, modified, or amended in any
manner which would cause the representations contained herein to be incorrect. This certification is being signed
by all of the currently acting trustees and is being executed in conformity with the provisions of California Probate
Code Section 18100.5, Chapter 530, Statutes of 1993.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned have executed this document on the date(s) set forth below.
On ______________________________ before me, , Notary Public,
(here insert name and title of the officer)
personally appeared ,
who proved to me on the basis of satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) whose name(s) is/are subscribed to
the within instrument and acknowledged to me that he/she/they executed the same in his/her/their authorized
capacity(ies), and that by his/her/their signature(s) on the instrument the person(s), or the entity upon behalf of
which the person(s) acted, executed the instrument.
I certify under PENALTY OF PERJURY under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing paragraph is
true and correct.
WITNESS my hand and official seal.